Through the Cultural Competency Practitioner Initiative (CCPI), the school psychology program equips students with the necessary skills to be advocates for children and families from a variety of ethnicities and cultures.
Our Department Offers the Following Academic Programs
- M.A./Ed.S. - Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.Ed. - School Counseling
- M.A./Ed.S. - School Psychology
- M.Ed. - College Student Personnel Administration
- M.A. - Psychological Sciences
News See All
March 19, 2014
During this past summer, Matthew Swain, a doctoral student in Assessment and Measurement at James Madison University, served as an intern in the Louisville, Kentucky office of the Human Resources Research Organization (HumRRO).
November 18, 2013
Dr. Craig Shealy, Professor of Graduate Psychology and Executive Director of the International Beliefs and Values Institute or IBAVI,†and members of the IBAVI Executive Board,†presented Agnes Kamara-Umunna, journalist, radio producer/presenter, and community activist, with the Sustainable Vision and Values award.
Assessment & Measurement Ph.D. and Psychological Sciences M.A. Students and Faculty Present at NERA Conference
November 13, 2013
A total of 29 JMU graduate students, faculty, and alumni traveled to the Northeastern Educational Research Association's (NERA) annual conference in October 2013.
November 6, 2013
The College of Health and Behavioral Studiesí inaugural Interprofessional Education Seminar brought together students and faculty from the school psychology, school counseling, occupational therapy, speech language pathology and nursing programs for a day of education and collaboration.
- The Department of Graduate Psychology is pleased to announce the Annual Symposium in Research and Practice will be held this coming Friday, April 18th, from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm in various rooms in Taylor Hall. This is an opportunity for students from our Programs to make presentations on their research interests. Dr. Lennis Echterling, the CHBS Madison Scholar for 2013-2014, will open the event with a keynote address titled “Grandma’s Lesson and Other Studies of Crises, Disasters, and Resilience” in Taylor 306.
- April 23
DC-Maryland-VA: Alumni Online Speed Networking
- May 9-10
- May 20
Richmond, VA: Alumni Networking Event
- View More Department Honors
Welcome from Graduate Psychology
Welcome to the Department of Graduate Psychology and Counseling! Our department offers eight graduate programs designed for individuals who want to pursue advanced study in psychology or counseling. These programs share the goals of academic enrichment, development of research and applied skills, and personal and professional growth. More >