Debbie C. Sturm - Ph.D.
- Office: Johnston Hall 105
- Phone: 540-568-4564
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of North Carolina at Charlotte (2008)
- M.A. University of North Carolina at Charlotte (2004)
- B.A. Edinboro University of Pennsylvania (1988)
- Licensed Professional Counselor in Virginia.
- Chair, Western Association for Counselor Education & Supervision Committee on Climate Change Competencies and Curriculum (2022-Present);
- Member of American Counseling Association Task Force on Climate Change & Mental Health (2019-Present);
- Climate Psychology Alliance of North America (2020-Present)
- Press Liaison (2021-Present)
- Clinician Support Committee & Group Facilitator (2021-Present)
- Legislative Advocacy Committee (2022-Present)
- Chair of American Counseling Association Human Rights Committee (2021-2022);
- Appointed to American Counseling Association’s Human Rights Committee (2019-2022).
Scholarly Interests/Research Topics
- Climate Change & Mental Health
- Climate-Informed Disaster Reponse
- Leadership & Advocacy
- Trauma, Grief & Loss
Sturm, D., Metz, A., & Daniels, J. (2021). Climate Crises: Helping Families Mitigate, Adapt, and Transition during Disruption. In Capuzzi, D. & Stauffer, M., Eds. (2021) Foundations of couples, marriage, & family counseling, Second edition. Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Sturm, D., Daniels, J. & Duggan, J. (2022). The climate crisis and mental health. In Derner, S. B., Ed. (2020) The SAGE encyclopedia of multicultural counseling, social justice, and advocacy. SAGE Publications.
Sturm, D. (2020). Environmental inequality and injustice. In Derner, S. B., Ed. (2022) The SAGE encyclopedia of multicultural counseling, social justice, and advocacy. SAGE Publications.
Sturm, D. (2020). Spotlight: Climate change and mental health. In Simmons, R., Lilley, S., & Kuhnley, A.K. (Eds). (in press). Introduction to Counseling: Integration of Faith, Professional Identity, and Clinical Practice. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
Shepard, C., Fleitas, K., Green, D., & Sturm, D. (Accepted for December 2021). Informing Consent: A Grounded Theory Study of Parents of Transgender and Gender-Diverse Youth Seeking Gender-Confirming Endocrinological Interventions. Manuscript submitted for publication to The Professional Counselor journal.
Nice, M., Pytel, K., Benoit, C., & Sturm, D. (2022). School Counselor and Environmental Educator Partnerships: Reducing Eco-Anxiety from Climate Change, Increasing Self-Efficacy, and Enhancing Youth Advocacy. Submitted to The Professional School Counselor journal.
Alexander, R., Jacovidis, J., & Sturm, D.(2022) Assessing sustainability culture: Exploring the role of personal definitions of sustainability. Manuscript submitted for publication to the International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education.
Reese, R. F., Swank, J. & Sturm, D. (Accepted for publication in January 2022 edition). A Survey of Helping Professionals and Climate Change: Implications for Humanistic Counseling. Submitted to Journal of Humanistic Counseling.
Sturm, D. Nance, J. & Metz, A.* (2020). Environmental Justice as Social Justice: An Invitation to Counselors. Virginia Counselors Journal.
Wong, J. & Sturm, D. (2021). Celebrating international Human Rights Day. Association for Multicultural Counseling & Diversity Newsletter.
Daniels, J., Sturm, D., & Pressman, S. (2021). The impact of the climate crisis on employment. National Employment Counseling Association Newsletter.
Podcasts & Continuing Education Videos
Duggan, J. (Producer/Moderator), Allen, J. (Producer/Director) & Sturm, D. (Presenter). (2020). Climate Change and Mental Health: Counseling Ethics. [Video]. In ACA Video Series. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Duggan, J. (Producer/Moderator), Allen, J. (Producer/Director) & Sturm, D. (Presenter). (2020). Climate Change and Mental Health: Professional Counseling and Advocacy. [Video]. In ACA Video Series. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Duggan, J. (Producer/Moderator), Allen, J. (Producer/Director) & Sturm, D. (Presenter). (2020). Climate Change and Mental Health: The Role of the Counselor. [Video]. In ACA Video Series. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.