Applying for Jobs with a Bachelor's Degree
The Psychology Major provides students with a liberal education, as well as a particularly wide range of practical and professional skills.
Academic Advising and Career Development
JMU's Career and Academic Planning provides students with a variety of resources including:
- Major and Career Exploration
- Job and Internship Search
- Graduate School Preparation
O*NET Online: The Occupational Information Network (O*NET) is a free online database that helps students and job seekers. Sponsored by the US Department of Labor/Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA).
- Find Occupations: https://www.onetonline.org/find/
- My Next Move “provides easy-to-use search options and career overviews for students”: https://www.mynextmove.org/
Highlight your skills
The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) developed a list of 8 competencies related to career readiness. To prepare for your future, seek out opportunities to develop these skills. When you do apply for jobs, consider how you can emphasize these skills.
NACE Career Readiness Competencies
- Career Management
- Critical Thinking / Problem Solving
- Digital Technology
- Global / International Fluency
- Oral / Written Communication
- Professionalism / Work Ethic
- Teamwork / Collaboration