Please read the content below, and contact your adviser if you need additional assistance.
Step 1: Declare the Major
- Complete the online orientation to the major, which takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
- Declare the Psychology major on MyMadison. MyMadison Tutorials.
Step 2: Enroll in the Pre-Requisite Courses
- PSYC 101
- MATH 220 is recommended. MATH 205, 231, and 235 are accepted. (COB 191, ISAT 151, ISAT 251, Math 011, and other 200-level math courses are accepted, but NOT RECOMMENDED for students who have not yet completed their math prerequisite.)
Step 3: Register For Psyc 210 Or Psyc 212.
- During advanced registration, enroll in PSYC 210 or PSYC 212. If the class is closed, enroll in waitlists for the class.
- Students who do not demonstrate mastery (see Step 4) by the end of the current semester will be dropped from PSYC 210 or 212.
Step 4: Demonstrate Mastery
- Complete the prerequisite courses (PSYC 101 and 200-level Math) with a C- or higher. CR (credit) is acceptable.
- Demonstrate mastery by completing one of the following:
- B or higher in PSYC 101
- B or higher in PSYC 122
- B or higher in PSYC 160
- Note: CR (credit) from a JMU class is NOT acceptable for demonstrating a B or higher in one of these classes.
- If you earn a “B” or higher in PSYC 101, you do not need to take PSYC 122 or 160 for admission purposes.
- With Departmental approval, grades from other institutions can fulfill this requirement. Earning a 4 on the AP Psychology exam meets this requirement.
Step 5: Become A Fully-Admitted Psychology Major
- At the end of the current semester, we will review transcripts of all students enrolled or waitlisted in PSYC 210 or 212 for the next semester:
- Students who have successfully completed these steps will be able to stay enrolled or waitlisted in PSYC 210 or 212 for the next semester. These students will become fully-admitted Psychology majors.
- Students who have not completed these steps will be administratively dropped from their PSYC 210 or 212 class. They can repeat the necessary steps to become fully-admitted Psychology majors for a future semester.
- Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page. The first three questions are specifically about enrolling in PSYC 210/212.
- If you have any questions about the admission criteria for the Psychology major, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.